Every year Autodesk brings out a new version of its flagship BIM Platform – Revit. There are a whole list of new updates which have become available with the 2017 version, which can be found on the Autodesk Website.
Here are Construct Digital top 5 most useful new features:
1. Improved Rendering –
- Revit 2017 now comes with the Autodesk Raytracer rendering engine as the default visualisation engine.
- The enhanced rendering tool allows designers to render more quickly and accurately. Users should expect to see a large speed increase as well as fantastic results.
- Raytracer provides consistent visualisation results across all Autodesk products as it is the default rendering engine in other Autodesk software such as AutoCAD, Inventor and Fusion.
- Users have the ability to set custom quality rendering settings. Designers have the option to render by level, time or until desirable results are achieved.
2. Depth Cueing –
- Revit 2017 has incorporated a brand new depth cueing feature which brings new life to elevations and section drawings.
- Depth cueing adds depth to elevations and sections to create stunning visuals that better communicate your design intent. Depth viewing is fully compatible with shadows on realistic lines, hidden lines, sketchy lines, ambient shadows, anti-aliasing and more.
- Designers gain the ability to control where the depth starts, stops and define limits that ad pop to elevations and sections for architecture or co-ordination views.
3. Improved Text editor –
- Revit 2017 has improved the text editor and layout engine giving users to a range of new editing tools that give more control over text.
- Users now have the ability to edit text in canvas, set old text to upper or lower case, add spaces between bullets, create lists with multiple levels, add indents and numbers.
- The new Revit 2017 text editor is now compatible with the way text is measured in AutoCAD; this improves the quality of imported or exported text with AutoCAD.
4. Hosted Railings –
- The new hosted railings feature in Revit 2017 give designers the ability to model railings that more closely represent how they will be built in real life.
- It is now easier to apply a railing to a complex surface such as a roof. Railing hosts provide designers with the ability to produce a single sketch which follows the slope and curvature of floors and roofs.
5. Global Parameters –
- The new global parameters feature enables users to drive dimension and element instance parameters with project wide parameters.
- A global parameter can be used to measure the dimension and calculate formulas to drive dimension, and parameter values and other elements in the project.
- For example, previously it was difficult to embed relationships between multiple spaces in a model but with global parameters you can add complex formula driven relationships between model elements that drive the size of building spaces according to building regulations and desire of building proportions.
Author: Martin Watson
Lead Editor at Construct Digital – As lead editor Martin reports on topics specifically relating to BIM, digital software and physical technologies which are revolutionising the Architecture, Engineering and Construction Industry.